Develop teachers’ skills and confidence in facilitating mathematics discussions that deepen students’ understanding and empower them as learners
NCTM's 5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Mathematics Discussions provides a framework of instructional practices for orchestrating discussions around focused mathematical ideas rooted in student work. The IM Learning™ 5 Practices workshop helps teachers understand and apply its instructional practices in their planning and instruction to effectively surface mathematical ideas through purposeful discussions.
During this one-day interactive workshop participants will:
- Discover the 5 Practices teaching framework
- Learn how the framework supports teachers in their planning
- Understand how the framework supports student understanding and discourse
- Apply understanding of the 5 Practices framework to plan an activity
An IM Facilitator will model lessons and guide participants through the 5 Practices framework. This professional learning experience workshop is designed to empower teachers with knowledge and skills they will feel confident using with their students the very next day.
Through the analyses of mathematical tasks and student responses, teachers will learn practices they can do in advance and during whole-class discussions that are responsive to both students and the mathematics.
- Open to all K–12 teachers, coaches, administrators, and pre-service teachers
- 5 Practices can be used with any curriculum adopted
- Held onsite at your location with an IM Facilitator
- One day, 6-hour workshop
- Professional Development based on NCTM’s 5 Practices for Orchestrating Productive Mathematics Discussions by Smith and Stein.
What Participants Say
The 5 Practices will help me be more meaningful and purposeful with my lessons and conversations with my students. I will be more prepared to handle misconceptions and steer discourse in the direction that meets the intended goal.
–Teacher, Washington State