for 6–12 Math Professional Learning
The Illustrative Mathematics Certification program (IM Certification™) provides training and mentoring to mathematics educators interested in becoming an IM Certified facilitator. Facilitators earn a certification in IM 6–8 Math and/or IM Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 Math curriculum, enabling them to support teachers and coaches implementing the curriculum.
Certification Overview & Benefits
All candidates attend a 3-day certification training. Upon successful completion*, participants will:
- Earn a one-year certification as an IM 6–8 Math and/or IM Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 Math Certified Facilitator.
- Receive exclusive invitations to additional virtual trainings that prepare facilitators to gain certifications in other areas.
- Receive mentoring and support from IM to grow professionally.
- Gain a prestigious credential from a respected non-profit mathematics organization.
- Earn extra income delivering professional learning on behalf of IM.
*At the conclusion of the certification workshop, candidates must be recommended by the facilitator training leads to move forward in the certification process. Certification is not complete until candidates demonstrate success in facilitating an IM Professional Learning event.
Who Should Apply?
The best IM Certification candidates meet the following criteria:
- 3+ years of experience teaching 5–12 mathematics or higher
- At least 1 year of providing professional learning and/or coaching math teachers
- Excellent presentation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Team player with positive, outgoing, flexible attitude
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Problem-solving ability and initiative
- Familiarity with Google Docs
- Ability to travel to professional learning engagements
- Availability to facilitate professional learning
- Teaching credential or endorsement in mathematics (any state)
- National Board Certification in mathematics
- Instructional coaching experience
NOTE: All facilitators must pass a required background check.
How Do I Apply?
On acceptance into the IM Certification program, participants commit to:
- Attending a 3-day certification training
- Reviewing the IM 6–8 Math and/or IM Algebra 1, Geometry, Algebra 2 Math teacher and student materials for all grades prior to the training
- Being available to facilitate professional learning on behalf of Illustrative Mathematics
Certification Fees and Materials
Accepted applicants must cover:
- The IMC fee of up to $3,000*
- Cost of travel to the certification training
*Scholarships are available for all candidates. Fees may be subsidized based on future Professional Learning events.
IM will provide:
- Training and materials
- Breakfast and lunch on training days